Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day 170: Bad Flare Photos

I had a bad flare over the weekend and it shows no sign of easing up any time soon. This is probably the worst flare I have had in a few months. It has floored me, as it has taken me completely by surprise. I didn't think I would get anything like this 5 1/2 months into withdrawals when everything was going so well. I don't know whether anything in particular has triggered the flare. There seems to be no pattern with flares. I decided to post some photos, but I warn you, they are not pleasant viewing!
My cheek looks like it has been slapped. It is very red and sore and itchy. My chin and the area round my mouth are bad too. My neck and chest ooze fluid in the night. Very uncomfortable. My face feels like it is burning, like someone has used a blowtorch on my skin. Needless to say, I don't feel like facing people at the moment and am keeping myself holed away at home. I think my right cheek is worst because that is the side I sleep on most.

The wet wound on my leg is oozing fluid again. I had previously got it under control, but when I flare it starts to ooze again. I have an identical wound on my other leg.
My fingers and hands are covered with small watery blisters. They are quite itchy and sore.
My arms itch like mad. I put socks on my hands in the night to stop myself scratching, but I pull them off and itch my arms, causing the damage seen in the photo. If I left them alone, I think they would heal OK.
This picture probably doesn't do justice to how bad my eye actually looks. Both eyes are bloodshot and have been for a few days, revealing the damage that long term steroid use has done to the blood vessels in the eye. When I wake up, my eyes are watery and my eyelids puffy. I usually have weeping cracks on my eyelids too.
In addition to all this, my skin is flaking too, leaving a little trail of flakes wherever I go.

I find it hard to look at the photos as they are quite depressing. The only hope I have is that these things tend to turn around quite quickly and my skin may be fine again tomorrow.

My sympathy goes to all my suffering skin friends worldwide who are going through the same thing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise,

I spent most of the day reading all the blogs and articles and commentary on this subject. I am on Day 5 myself and rightly terrified of what lay ahead.

I just noticed your post and the picture with the blisters. This is what the clinical derms call dyshidrotic eczema or pomphylx eczema. People are typically affected on their hands or their hands and feet. Maybe you already know this maybe not? I have had it for about 6 years on my hands, very widespread and painful. The blisters come up itchy but once they are popped and start healing the itch subsides and the flaking begins. For me it cycles and I have never understood the triggers.

Anyway, I just wanted to get in touch to let you know the name of the type of eczema because for years I had no diagnosis and no idea. There are now dozens of forums on this type of eczema that you can find with a simple google search.

Good luck and I will continue to follow your progress with TSW. I hope I am strong enough to make it as long as you--170 days! Awesome.

Trish,
Canada

kelou said...

Lou, I am so sorry hon, it will pass, try not to be too down, one suggestion re the leg wound, recently when we had that bad shin wound my friend got my some dressings from the old peoples home where she worked I think they were called something like hydrocolliod dressings, I think they work much in the same way as the moist wound healing, just you can leave them on for quite a while.

So hope this passes soon x

Louise said...

Hi Crescent beach. Thank you for your lovely comments. I will look into the pomphylix eczema and find out a bit more, thank you.

I know you are only on day 5, and it is really hard at the start, but stick with it. So many have healed completely, and I hold on to that hope.

If you haven't checked out itsan.org yet, please do. it is a great resource full of useful articles.

I wish you every success with your steroid free journey. x

Louise said...

Thanks Kelou. I know flares come and go, so I'm expecting super good skin after this one!

Nat said...

Hi Lou, sorry you're having this flare. Some people seem to get one last big flare at 5/6 months before a spell of big improvement - hopefully that's you too! I get those blisters on my fingers, as do quite a few people on the forum - I think it was decided it was spongiatic dermatitis though? Hope you feel better soon! x

Unknown said...

Xoxoxxoxoxo kiln is flaring badly nie too! Xoxoxoxoxo he's only 10 wks in

Louise said...

Hi Nat. I know you had a massive flare at 5 months and understand what I'm going through.
I just have to weather the storm. I know it will fizzle out in a few days.

Louise said...

Poor Kline. Its so hard for kids, but the good news is that they heal quicker than the adults. I know J started improving at 16 weeks, so I'm sure he will improve soon. Such a brave little boy and a great mom too. xxx

Nat said...

Haha - yes - DON'T do what I did! I'd love to know what stage I'd be at now if I'd stuck with it!