Wednesday 9 May 2012

Day 171 My Asthma and TSW

My current flare is still ongoing, but seems to be less intense today. Although I don't look any better, I do feel a bit better and I managed to go out last night, even though I didn't feel particularly sociable due to the state of my face. During steroid withdrawal it does you good to get outside, even if it is a short walk to a local shop. It is very easy to withdraw from the world and shut yourself away, but trying to keep daily routine going as normal is a worthwhile challenge.

I have no choice. I have to fetch the kids from school every day, which means no matter what state my skin is in, I have to go out. A lot of the time, I feel OK, even though I know my skin looks bad. The important thing for me is feeling well. I'm beyond caring what my skin looks like anymore!

On the subject of feeling well, I want to make an important point about steroid inhalers for asthma. Most people with asthma have a blue inhaler, which is a reliever inhaler and does not contain steroids. Others, myself included, need a preventer inhaler, which does contain a steroid. As I am recovering from steroid addiction, I am concerned about the effect that the inhaled steroid will have on my skin healing process.

The information out there is vague to say the least. With many doctors even denying the existence of steroid addiction, there is very little information out there about the use of steroid inhalers and Red Skin Syndrome. Dr Rapaport MD, who has treated over 2000 people with Red Skin Syndrome says that steroid inhalers may slow the healing process, but should be taken if necessary. In his opinion, the bronchii in the lungs may become addicted to steroids like the skin. However, no scientific study has been undertaken on this subject.

Some people have successfully managed to wean themselves off the steroid inhalers. In fact, a lot of people find that their asthma symptoms improve dramatically once the steroid creams are stopped. With this in mind, I decided to try and wean myself down from my current dose of Seretide (Advair) from 2 puffs a day to just one.

At first, things seemed to go OK, and for a few days I was fine. However, after a week, I noticed that I was coughing more and more until it got to the point that my lungs were so clogged up with mucus that I was having trouble breathing. I presumed I had a chest infection, but when I started to resume the previous dose of Seretide, the symptoms "magically" disappeared and my breathing went back to normal.

It seems that my lungs had a rebound effect the same as my skin upon steroid cessation, but I can't mess about with my lungs. I need them to live! Regretfully, I have had to resume my previous dose of inhaled steroids for now. I hope that the steroids won't impact too much on my skin healing process. I believe that my lungs are addicted to steroids and need a maintenance dose of steroid to function normally.

However, I have a few tricks up my sleeve....

Firstly, I make sure that I rinse my mouth after inhaling the steroid. As the inhaler is a spray, some of the steroid does not go into the lungs, but adheres to the inside of the mouth and throat, where it can be absorbed or swallowed. By rinsing with water and gargling, I ensure that the only steroid going into my body, is the one that enters the lungs and I wash away any excess.

I bought a salt pipe. This device uses salt to clear the airways. You breathe through the pipe for 5 minutes a day. It is a good way to clear the lungs of mucus.

I also bought a Powerbreathe device, which uses resistance to strengthen the respiratory muscles.

Maybe, over time, I will be able to decrease the amount of inhaled steroid I need. I think it is important not to put my health at risk, and while I would love to be completely steroid free, I appreciate that this might take considerable time. At the moment, I need the inhaler, so have to take it.

No comments: