Tuesday 10 April 2012

Day 142 More Discomfort

It was all going so well.....

Today I had another flare, I think it is flare number 8, but I lose count! My skin had been doing really well up to this point, I didn't think it would flare like this again.

I woke up several times in the night with a soaking wet neck. It was very uncomfortable and made it hard to sleep. I know I scratched like crazy in the night.

When I woke up, the bed was so full of dead skin flakes, that we had to strip the bed and wash everything, as well as hoovering the floor, which was also covered in flakes.

My face is slightly blotchy with a bit of yellow crusting on my chin. There is ooze on my hair and behind my ears.

My neck is dry and papery and hard to move. When I scratch the itch, water comes out of my skin.

My torso and back are OK, as are the tops of my arms.

My arms are very sore and red from my elbows to wrists. it is mainly scratch damage. Some areas look atrophied and it is hard to stretch my arms.

My legs are bad again. The wet wounds that were almost gone have all opened up again and pouring yellow ooze. I have a wound on each calf and also one behind my leg. I am trying to treat them with dressings, but have to change them often as the ooze keeps seeping through.

I am very depressed. I sat on the stairs crying this morning, wondering how much longer it is going to be like this. Emotionally, I feel utterly drained, similar to the way you feel when you are grieving. Tears flow easily, but the stress makes me itch more.

I was due to give a 5 minute presentation at a meeting this evening, but chickened out on account of how my skin looked. And I said a few days ago that I wasn't going to let it stop me doing anything anymore.

I know this flare will pass, and hope it is soon. I think that flares are just the skin healing itself and with each flare comes more healing.

Topical steroid withdrawal sure has highs and lows.....I'm sure I will be back to my cheerful self in a few days.

1 comment:

kelou said...

It will get better, even when you think it wont, I keep thinking of what someone said, it is like hair growing, you know it does, but you don't notice it happen.

Keep your chin up hon x