Monday 9 April 2012

Day 141 Doublebase

I found a bottle of Doublebase gel in the cupboard that I had forgotten about.

I had always had mixed success with this product. It is a white gel non steroidal emollient in a pump dispenser. I always found in the past that when I used it, I would be fine for a week or so and then develop a reaction to it. In hindsight, I wonder whether it was because I would decrease steroid use when I used the Doublebase, which would then fuel a rebound flare. Of course I knew nothing about Red Skin Syndrome at the time, so always thought my skin was reacting badly to the gel. It has been the same story with all other emollient creams. I would increase the emollient with the hope of decreasing the steroid, have limited success and then my skin would flare and I would blame the emollient.

Now I have been off the steroid creams for nearly 5 months, I decided to try the Doublebase again and give it a proper chance. I don't know whether my skin will react or not, as topical steroid withdrawal can cause hypersensitivity in the skin.

Anyway, so far so good. I used the Doublebase last night and this morning and the skin seems to be taking it well. I hope it works because I like the consistency of the gel and it is non greasy, so you can put clothes on straight afterwards. My skin gets very dry lately, so a reliable emollient is really important to keep the skin comfortable and keep the skin barrier strong.

No comments: