Sunday 8 April 2012

Day 140 Corticosteroid-Induced Atrophy

I love searching the Internet for articles about topical steroids and their adverse effects. Many of the articles that I find will be printed on the new ITSAN site when it goes live, as a one-stop resource for all steroid addiction related information.

In the meantime, I have to share this amazing article that I found today:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783752/

The article is about the damage that steroid creams cause to the skin. The statistics mentioned in the article are truly shocking. For example, the article states that:

" In Canada and the United States, topical corticosteroids are classified according to their strength from very low to very high potency; very high–potency compounds are approximately 1000 times more potent than hydrocortisone. In general, as we move from lotion to cream to ointment, the potency of corticosteroids increases."

1000 times! The mind boggles! This is strong stuff they are prescribing. No wonder our skin gets addicted!

The article also states that:

"General skin atrophy consists of a reduction in epidermal and dermal thickness, regression of the sebaceous glands, subcutaneous fat loss, and muscle-layer atrophy. These changes are typically observed following 2 to 3 weeks of moderate- to high-potency topical corticosteroid use. A single application of a very potent topical steroid can cause an ultrasonographically detectable decrease in skin thickness that lasts up to 3 days. Even low-potency topical steroids can cause slight skin atrophy that often reverses upon discontinuation of the drugs. Atrophy and striae are of concern on areas of the skin with high permeability, such as the face and intertriginous areas, but these adverse events can occur anywhere, especially after long-term use of moderate- or high-potency topical corticosteroids. While mild atrophy and telangiectasia might be reversible upon discontinuation of corticosteroids, overtly visible changes in skin texture and striae are considered permanent manifestations of corticosteroid-induced atrophy and are resistant to treatment."

I was shocked that a single application of potent steroid could thin the skin for 3 days. Imagine what damage using it daily would cause.

This article, and those like it, that I continue to find, PROVE that steroids are powerful drugs, which are over prescribed by doctors seeking a quick fix for skin problems without considering the long term implications. Drugs like these are daily prescribed to babies and young children, with repeat prescriptions doled out without any questions. Steroid creams are supposed to be for short term use only (5 days or less), but are often over prescribed.

My worry is, that as the skin gets more reliant on stronger steroids to produce any effect, how strong can these creams potentially get?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Louise, its's Kayse off ITSAN. I was googling articles about skin atrophy and I stumbled across your blog . The end part of the quote you used here is terrifying. Because the face is an area of high impermeability, does that mean the atrophy could be permanent? It's as if the fat/thickness under the eyes has disappeared and reading this has gotten me nervous to say the least.

Louise said...

Hi kayse.

I agree, it sounds scary, but let me share my own personal experience with you. I wrote that blogpost back in April 2012 and have gone through a lot since then.

I can honestly say that in my case, no areas seem to have been permanently damaged by the steroids. I'm now 3 years off the creams and my skin is virtually normal. Bear in mind that I used creams on my face for 15 years and Betnovate for a whole year.

Whilst I can't rule out that in some extreme cases damage may be permanent, I think that most of us damaged by steroids don't come into that category and our skin should improve without any lasting bad effects.

Hope this helps. Don't worry too much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Louise. You really did go through a lot. I'm amazed on how you soldiered on. Sometimes I feel like the worrying is driving me insane. Your story is a huge inspiration and relief. A rabid 200lbs rottweiler would be less intimidating to me than all steroids lol. Again, thank you!!! :)

Louise said...

No problem, I'm just glad I could help.

Yea, I've been through hell, but I can honestly say it HAS been worth it. My skin is great now and I'm so glad I'm not reliant on creams to keep it under control anymore.

Try and chill out if you can. Stress doesn't help your skin! X

Anonymous said...

I have permanent damage using so called mild demonize a few times.the area is ruined and so am i