Friday 30 March 2012

Day 131 My Daily TSW Cycle

My skin seems to have gone into a daily cycle of flare and calm. This is how it usually goes:

Morning: I wake up and my skin is pretty dry. There is very little redness and, usually a lot of flaking around my mouth and neck. usually have to moisturise the backs of my legs and my elbow flexures so that I can move properly. My eyes are sometimes a bit gooey, but this passes quickly. Once I have had a mad dash getting kids ready for school, I try and rest up as much as possible.

Early Afternoon: Lunchtime is when I feel my best. The initial tigtness has gone and my skin feels OK. This is when I can get jobs done, as my energy levels are peaking.

Late Afternoon: Once I go to fetch the kids, I am on my feet for most of the afternoon, causing slight swelling in my legs. By the time I have got the dinner on the table, my skin is starting to go redder and my legs ooze a little.

Evening. By the evening, around 8:00 p.m. my skin is at its worst. I start shivering and juddering and my body gives off a lot of heat. I have to sit down with my legs up, as my leg swells slightly.

Night: By the time I go to bed, my skin is usually in a  mild flare and pinky-red all over. My neck is also a little swollen. I put on a light layer of moisture before bed, and put dressings on my weepy patches of my legs. In the night my neck oozes quite a lot of fluid. I have to use towels, pillowcases or scarves around my neck. I often wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning, which I think is due to adrenal fatigue.

By the morning, my skin is calm again...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm almost in tears because reading through, I know exactly what you go through, I thought maybe I was having a bad flare up, but this had been way worse and pro-longed. I'v been warned of the side effects, but it's the only thing that stops me from being in terrible misery- went a few weeks but nothing worked, I looked & felt horrible, depressed didn't even want to step outside but I have an 8 year old daughter so that's not an option,I broke down two days ago and cut open my empty tube of cream...my skin cleared up almost instantly, so far just getting the last of the dryness/flaky away....I'm so worried this horrible reaction will happen again, I don't want to use cream ever again...but do I have a choice? I will mention I stopped using inhaled steroids completely for several months, I'm so glad I found your blog thank you for sharing, I will read the links etc...I want to be steroid free forever! You are very brave and inspiring to me!

Louise said...

Hi Barbra,

Check out some of my newer blog posts to see how much I have improved since i wrote this post!

Things get better every day. x