Tuesday 21 May 2013

Wow! 18 Months Off the Steroids!

I hit another benchmark today: an amazing 18 months off the steroid creams.

I always feel pretty good when I hit a landmark like this. I remember celebrating a week off, then a month off, 100 days, 250 days and 12 months off the creams. Then I stopped counting up in days and started counting in months. Here I am at 18 months and it feels good. Celebrate the little victories, and the big victories will come your way too.

The last 6 months have been crazy. To be completely honest I did think I would be healed by now, but TSW is a long process and results can vary based on time used, steroid potency, frequency of application and other factors. In these late stages, the weather seems to have a dramatic effect on healing. A little sun clears my skin right up. Unfortunately, here in the UK, we don't see much sunshine.

After a healing phase last summer, my skin hit a huge second flare at 11 months, which lasted for several months. I have learned that this is not uncommon, and many people on the Itsan forum have experienced the same thing; a shock flare at 11 months. This is why I feel it is so useful to log the TSW process. Patterns will emerge, I am sure.

Speaking of which, I am so happy about the rise in the number of TSW blogs. look, the blogs are filling the column on the right hand side of the page! I think there are over 40 blogs now, which is wonderful news. We are creating something special that cannot be ignored. Of those 40 bloggers, at least 5 have healed completely and no longer have any rashes. All of the bloggers are at different stages of TSW, but it will be wonderful when we have all posted our final healing photos. Take that, doctors!

When I first found Kelly's addicted skin site, the precursor to Itsan, there were only a couple of TSW bloggers out there. The forum was made up of about 10 individuals battling TSW. It has been great to see how their skin has improved over time. Itsan seems to have bloomed into this huge organization, with many new people accessing the forum every day.

I have had plenty of highlights in the last few months, including receiving an award, meeting fellow bloggers and writing a book (still pinching myself on that one!).

My skin is good. The skin seems to have healed on a deeper level and feels much more supple and elastic than previously. Any blotches and scratches seem shallow and superficial; not deep like before.


My blog readership is almost 170,000. I am shocked and humbled. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations on 18 months Louise. I'm crossing my fingers for some sunshine for us all xxx

Elaine said...

Well done Louise. What a trooper! Almost there now...
Elaine
x