Monday 29 April 2013

Getting Better Every Day (photo)

Now that the sunny (but cold!) weather is here, my skin is just getting better and better. Here is today's photo!
I really feel like I am almost at the finish line! The redness has gone and I have just got a pale pink rash left, which is barely noticeable. My worst area is still around my mouth and I need to use lots of moisturiser on my lips.

A downside of the sunny weather is that my skin has been hit by the cold sore virus, which is activated by UV light. You can probably make out a reddened area just inside my nostril on the left of the picture and I also have a couple of blisters on my chin. Thankfully, they are healing pretty well and are much less severe than they were when I used steroids on my skin, as the steroids would damp down my natural immune response.

We went to Center Parcs at the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. TSW did not get in the way of anything. I was able to go for long walks in the forest, go swimming and even take a hula hooping exercise class. Although I broke out a sweat, my skin did not feel irritated or sore as it had done previously. I was worried because the bed had white sheets and white pillowcases, but my skin behaved and didn't leave any blood or ooze on the sheets.

Like I said, the weather is still very cold, so unfortunately, I cannot bare my arms yet when I go out, in order to get the benefit of the sun on my inner arms.

Of course, I am not 100% healed, but at the moment, I am living life normally and am not impeded by my skin, which makes me incredibly happy.

I hope this post gives hope to all those starting on the TSW journey that things CAN get better. The skin has an amazing ability to heal itself when it is left to get on with it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad your skin is having such a good response from the sun :) sadly the sun and heat make things worse for me so it is always a battle!xx

Elaine said...

Looking good, Louise. How many months is this? Must be about 16?
nearly there now!
Elaine x

Louise said...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just passed the 17 month mark!

With TSW, it is important to wait for the right time to expose your skin to the sun. It can react badly in the early stages of withdrawal.

Ayden said...

I am 24 girl who come from Hong Kong. I have severe eczema since I was young and used topical steroid for ages. After read the ITSAN wesite, i started to quite steroid cream. It is 14 days now, my eczema got worse and spread to some new places (that places are very healthy and never used steroid before) Sometimes I feel so depressed and cant sleep well, but I keep telling myself that I must not give up! Glad to see your improvement, hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad you are doing so well!