Friday 1 February 2013

Stopping to Say "Thank You"

It is easy to forget to say "Thank You". Sometimes we need reminding! Today on the Itsan forum, Kelly (the founder) asked if as many people as possible could write a message of thanks to Dr Marvin Rapaport MD for his work and research on steroid addiction and withdrawal. Dr Rapaport is a doctor who has swum against the tide of popular medical opinion to publish his findings on steroid addiction. He has helped thousands of patients to successfully quit steroid creams and regain healed skin.

I have never met Dr Rapaport. He lives in Beverly Hills, California and I live a whole world away in a small town in the West Midlands here in the UK. However, his work and research have strongly influenced the way that I view steroid creams. I truly hope that in time, my skin will heal completely from this steroid-induced eczema.

So....here is what I would like to say to Dr Rap!

Dear Dr Rapaport,

I would like to thank you for your research and studies into topical steroid addiction. I first read your papers back in November 2011 and reading them changed my whole perception of steroid creams. For the previous 15 years, I have viewed steroid creams as a magical "fix" to my eczema and applied them in increasing doses. It's funny; I noticed my skin getting worse and the "eczema" spreading but never thought that it could have been the steroids causing the problem. Of course, it all seems so obvious now.

I quit the creams after I read the article and have been in withdrawal for almost 15 months. In that time, I have been fortunate to meet with others suffering from the same condition. The similarities in our skin were shocking. After seeing many pictures of people going through this, there is no doubt in my mind that this is steroid induced. I now understand why you refer to us as the "red people".

It must be hard for you to meet with so much scepticism from the medical profession and your fellow doctors. It must be frustrating when you see dermatologists continue to prescribe increasing doses of potent steroids. But be assured that your work has helped many and continues to have far-reaching influence. For example, I live in the UK. I have never met you, but have benefited from your research. I now have my own blog on the subject which has, in turn, helped many others around the world. My blog has around 600 hits a day; all people searching for answers.

As more people awaken to the dangers of steroids, we can spread the word even more, recording our progress in photos, creating a portfolio of proof that will be difficult for doctors to deny. I am confident that one day, perceptions about steroid creams WILL change and that is all thanks to you and doctors like you.

So thank you, Dr Rapaport. Continue your good work knowing how much it means to patients on a personal level, patients like me. Thanks to your research I have the hope of having normal skin again and enjoying life to the full. please continue to support us and know that we appreciate everything you have done to help us.

Your appreciatively,

Louise

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the problem is not 100% on topical steroids. It is the doctors and dermatologist that have not been correctly trained and taught on the use of steroids. I have checked through the warnings of the steroid creams and all have indicated poison on the label. There is also warning that steroid creams are not for long term use and warnings about rebound effect. Its the derms that do not understand these warnings correctly and prescribed it to be used continuously with ever increasing strength.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise said...

Totally agree Lee. Even Dr Rap prescribes steroid creams, but it is all about using them in the right way and educating the docs.

Thanks for the comment. X

Unknown said...

Hey! Can anyone tell me about the potency of betamethasone 0.05%cream that i used on n off on my face only for around 22months..how long will it take to cure..i know its not easy to say but just a rough estimation plz

Louise said...

It is classed as a potent steroid. Withdrawal time depends on how often you used the cream. Did you use it every day, or have breaks in between uses?

Unknown said...

I used it intermittently for 22months not evn full 2yrs..m into my fourth month n experience some pustules like red bumps wid little pink dry cheeks ..any suggestions about healing period??