Tuesday 5 February 2013

The Urge to Scratch

My skin is coming out of the wet, red phase and going into the dry phase, which is a lot easier to manage. The only problem with the dryness is that it does tend to make the skin very itchy and some mornings I wake up to find that I have clawed my face or my arms and left red marks. To counteract this, I take an antihistamine before bed, add a layer of moisturiser and also wear socks on my hands to stop myself scratching.

Every time I woke up in the night last night, the socks were back off again and I would inevitably find myself scratching away at my skin. I would dutifully place the socks back on again, but to no avail. One of the socks had a small hole in it and my the time I woke up, my busy fingers had worked the small hole into a hole large enough to fit my entire finger through so I could happily scratch away during my sleep! Luckily my face did not sustain any major damage, although it did feel a little tight. Thankfully, my neck ooze has stopped for the time being. With a quick slick of moisturizer, I was set for the day. The sun is out today and my front room gets the full sun, so I will be lying down on the rug to make sure I get some rays!

On the asthma front-good news. When I woke up this morning, I wasn't wheezy! This has to be a first! I am currently dropping every third puff of seretide. So far so good, although I won't consider dropping further until my peak flow is more stable. it still fluctuates between 250 and 300.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Scratching actually helps to remove the dead dry skin as long as it doesn't cuts and break the skin. I wear a pair of gloves when I sleep the gloves I use made from Nitrile material, this is a type of rubber and most people are not allergic to it. It reduces the chance of me scratching till bleeding. On my feet I use cling wraps to wrap them before putting on socks. This helps to keep the moisturisers from drying out. Hope this helps.

Unknown said...

use calamine (pink for poison oak) and mix it with a lotion of ur choice. it protects it . then put vaseline thick layer and your good. no itching. when you ooze PUTT CALAMINE. A THICK LAYER. it stopped the ooze in 2 days

Louise said...

Thanks for both of your suggestions. Anything that helps is useful!