Friday 25 January 2013

Maybe Weaning Off the Inhaler Was a Bad Idea.....

As you may have read in my last few posts, I had decided to step down my inhaler usage as I wondered if the steroid component of the inhaler was hindering my healing, or possibly causing my asthma. For the last few days, I have just been taking one puff of Seretide in the mornings instead of one in the morning and one at night.

Well, this morning, I woke up at 6:30 wheezing and coughing. I was bringing up lots of mucus and my chest felt tight. I took the inhaler, but the chest tightness persisted throughout the morning. My peak flow was also dangerously low, about 250, which, for some people would warrant a stay in hospital!

I decided I will have to rethink the whole inhaler issue. I seem to need the steroid and am not willing to compromise my health. I think it would be more sensible to perhaps drop every third or fourth dose rather than every second dose.

Of course, it could well be the case that my asthma is NOT steroid induced. maybe it is just plain 'ol asthma! My dad and grandad both have chronic bronchitis, so it could be that.

I will be more cautious about dropping doses and look into steroid-free inhaler alternatives. For now, I'm stuck puffing the 'roids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Louise - just read this and wanted to check you're ok...? I'm worried that messing with inhalers on your own is a bit dicey - do you have a respiratory doc that you can discuss with (one that is even slightly sympathetic to the whole steroid issue)?

I was being prescribed increasing amounts of becotide and it was getting to the stage where I was wheezing all day and night. When I first cut it out cold turkey I had a lot of help from my ventolin for the first week or so. I still get really bad wheezing if I'm around hay or I get a cold-like illness and need my salbutamol.

I don't know what to say in your case tho - if the midnight wheezing is just the start of coming off the inhalers or if you're actually quite asthmatic and really need their help...? I'm just concerned that trying to find out on your own with trial and error is a really bad idea!?!?

Anyways - just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and that I hope you're alright.

Kitty xxx

Louise said...

Hi Kitty,
You are sweet for asking and yes, I am OK.

I am trying to find the minimal dose that I need to cope. This may mean dropping every thrird dose rather than every second. I am checking my peak flow regularly and trying other methods to strengthen my lungs. Like I say, I am not sure if I am addicted to the inhaled steroids.

Anonymous said...

Hey Louise - it's uncharted territory isn't it? You poor love! It certainly sounds like you're being really sensible; I just wish that we all had access to the answers!!

Well keep going, be safe, let us know how you're getting on and here's to healing! Your blog is awesome and i'm grateful for your writing efforts. I get this and a couple of other blogs on a feed through Google Reader so posts always come through inappropriately sandwiched between pictures of kittens with amusing captions : D

Much love xxx

Azeem said...

Hi Louise,

Maybe you can ask your doctor about Singulair (montelukast sodium 10mg daily). It is a non steroid leukotriene antagonist designed for controlling asthma instead of using steroid inhalers

Louise said...

Hi Azeem.

I asked the asthma nurse about the singulair, but she says they only prescribe it for people who can't manage their asthma with the inhaler alone.

I seem to be going OK dropping every third dose of the seretide. Even if I can't get off completely, I am happy that my body is taking less steroid.

Hope you are doing ok. x