Tuesday 3 January 2012

Day 44 Hot Baths Seem To Help Me

I had a theory. Now please bear in mind that I have no medical background whatsoever, so this is pure guesswork on my part, but I think that maybe, if the blood vessels are allowed to do what they want and flare for a controlled period by a warm bath, then during the cool down period, they will more readily return to their normal state, inducing paler skin as the blood vessels constrict during cooldown. I think it may be a way to train the blood vessels to go back to normal after they have been suppressed for so long by the steroid creams.

I take a hot (but not scalding or uncomfortable) bath every morning to which I add 100g of Epsom salts. I then relax for 30 minutes in the bath, as my skin turns slightly pink due to the heat and the effect on the blood vessels. the salts lift the dead flaky skin off and the magnesium in the bath salts softens and remineralises the skin.

When I get out of the bath I sit and cool down for a good 15 minutes. During this time my face perspires, which is a good sign, and my skin turns from pink to pale coloured as the blood vessels contrict. The skin is very tight at this point so a well tolerated moisturiser, such as vaseline is vital. I like using hemp seed oil cream, as it nourishes the skin and I don't react badly to it. I then put on some cool, light clothing and keep my skin cool for the rest of the day. The pale colour remains and I have noticed that the redness in my arms is vanishing. I will try and post some photos tomorrow.

The daily baths, along with my weird ritual of putting pillowcases on my hands at night to stop myself scratching, is promoting healing in my damaged skin. I hope this is the start of some good changes in my skin. Hot baths may not suit everyone with this condition, and of course, should not be used on people with blood pressure problems or other health problems. Alternatively, many prefer a "cool" approach, using ice packs to treat their symptoms. Ultimately, it is about whatever works for you.

No comments: