Wednesday 23 October 2013

Day 3 of Bad Flare

I had a really bad night last night. I was super itchy and very conscious of my face touching the pillow and getting sweaty. It seemed impossible to get comfortable and my facial skin was radiating a lot of heat. I woke at 2 a.m. and couldn't get back down so I went downstairs and did myself a cup of chamomile tea, finally dozing off again at about 4 a.m.

When I got up, I expected my face to be a gooey mess, but was quite surprised to see that I had scratched off most of the dried-on crust in my sleep, leaving the skin looking smoother, albeit pink and slightly raw.

Today I managed to:

Take the kids into school.
Talk to one of the parents.
Sit through a meeting with a teacher.
Go to the local shop for some groceries.
Fetch the kids (chatting to another mom and another teacher!)

These are all things that I would not have been able to do yesterday, so I am feeling more confident again.

I still think I am in a flare though, because my skin feels warm.

Here is today's photo. if you compare it with yesterday, it looks WAY better.
Not perfect, but a lot better! and the "zombie eye" has gone away too!

Looks like I am moving in the right direction again.


Someone posted this comment on the Itsan forum today. I hope she is OK with me putting it on here. It just seemed really profound to me.

"My husband is in the protection & safety business ... he deals with a lot of rape victims ... not only rape victims but general victims of some kind of trauma (we live in South Africa ... crime & rape capital of the world)

These trauma victims all have one thing in common:
every year about the same time when the traumatic event occurred they have a set back (emotionally, sometimes spiritually and often physically).

TSA is a TRAUMATIC event and the only thing that makes sense to me is that your body is going through a temporarily "set back"... it makes sense to me as it is round about the time when you stopped Steroid use and your tsw journey started ....

Someone once told me just as a wave starts rough and intense (during high tide) ... it eventually turns into low tide ... until it reaches the point where the wave just gently flows over until it finally disappears."


My big flares have been at 11 months and 23 months. Maybe she has hit upon something really important here. It definitely rings true in my case anyway and I would be really interested to see if this happened to other TSW'ers too.



3 comments:

Elaine said...

Well, in 2012 when I was at the end of my first attempt at TSW, my scalp oozed brown stinking fluid for 6 weeks. My pillow was like a butchers apron. It was the most traumatic thing in my life so far... I went back onto topical roids, and then onto ciclo in December last year. However, *exactly* 12 months after my scalp ooze thing last year, almost all my hair fell out. About 90% of it dropped out over 6 weeks, until I was all but bald. Its not grown back properly yet. It might be the ciclo, who knows. But it fits with your theory. I hope it doesn't happen again next year (assuming its grown back by then!
looking better there, Louise.
xx

Unknown said...

I am so sorry!!! I hope it passes fast! Kline's ft are flaring again too..at 20 months....and super itchy! This sucks!!

Xoxoxox Loren

Anonymous said...

Actually I think the same thing about the flares coming at the same time from emotional physical and environmental triggers. I have the same monthly patterns of irritation based on my female hormone cycle. Also it is now the fall and I'm flaring the way I did last winter. Even though from June -August you could barely see the color and textural difference in my skin. September came and WHAM flares have been nonstop. I'm guessing I will have good skin in the summer again... thanks for sharing your pictures.