Friday 28 June 2013

Flashback: Wavy lines, Soft Focus....

So today I'm going to do a ranty post about some of the times in my life when my skin has really let me down. These, of course, were times when I was suffering from steroid addiction, but thought that it was eczema.

The Eczema Herpeticum Hell

Reading Jenny Stradling's recent blogpost on her hospital stay with EH reminded me of my brush with the disease. It was at the time that I believe, I first got addicted to steroid creams. I was using them on my face for the first time and was surprised to find an ulcer-like blister on my chin. It hurt like hell, so I went to the doctor, who told me to put hydrocortisone on it. Even I didn't think this was a good idea, but I did as he said. Within days, I had blisters all over my face. They were spreading like mad and were in my eyes. I went back to the doctor, who said it was impetigo and gave me some antibacterial cream,. It wasn't impetigo and I only found this out a few days later, when, completely crusted up and barely able to move my eyes and mouth, I was diagnosed with EH and given a ridiculously tiny tube of acyclovir cream and some tablets.

It was a horrible time and I was totally incapacitated. I can't believe that two doctors got it so wrong before I was told what I had. Since then, I get small outbreaks of EH when I am run down, but nothing like that hellish initial outbreak.

Honeymoon Hell

Not to say that my honeymoon was hell, of course. It had its good points too. But I was terribly ill with my skin.

We went to Sorrento in Italy, which was my dream destination. My skin was giving me trouble and it went from bad to worse. The climate didn't seem to suit me. My skin was itchy and oozy. There was dry skin everywhere. As the holiday went on, I got worse. A trip to Rome had to be cancelled. I was devastated. I had to have my meals in my hotel room. We racked up a massive bill for room service!

A doctor was called. She prescribed steroid cream and a course of oral steroids, which was the one and only time in my life that I have ever taken them. My legs swelled up as a result of the orals and I kept vomiting, which left me severely dehydrated. We tried a daytrip to Capri, but I kept passing out and needed rehydration therapy. Luckily, there was a doctor on the coach who was very kind to us.

It's funny, but I still have fond memories of the holiday, despite how ill I was. I would love to go back again and do it properly now my skin is better. My hubby still owes me a trip to Rome!

Pregnancy Woes

When I was pregnant with my first baby, my skin went mad because I stopped using the steroid cream. I was unwittingly going through TSW without knowing it.

I remember sitting in the hospital crying my eyes out. I was making such a scene that they took me into another room, daubed me with steroid ointment and wet wrapped me. I was so grateful...

Throughout the pregnancy I must have used a tube of Eumovate a week.

A Happy Story To Finish

Those days are behind me! No more skin woes. Just good skin days.

TSW has provided me with some of the darkest times of my life, but it doesn't pay to look back with regret. Keep looking forward with hope and make new memories to replace the sad ones.

Hehe! My skin is getting whiter by the day!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hi louise

I‘m 19th week pregnant and 24th day ts free, now my neck and chest area burns like hell. I don‘t want to go the hosp. thinking that they will only give me steroids. I really don‘t know what to do. I recently found out that I‘m pregnant and this time I don‘t want to risk it anymore. It‘s really hard for a pregnant woman to undergo TSW. what are your advices?

Unknown said...

Hi louise-first off thank you so so much for posting your experience with tsw. I'm 30 days free of using tsc and my skin is reacting and giving me hell. Though reading your blog and others give me the strength to push through everyday. This week has been tough not sure if it's because i hit the 30 day mark or what but i broke down crying several times out of pure frustration. But keep posting because it helps to see where i'll be soon enough!

Tracy S said...

Ahhhh....memories of bad skin times! As a nurse, I worked with kids for many years - my favorite questions I got asked "Do you have chicken pox?", and "Are you contagious?". I am more than over it! But I still get asked every day I work some question about my skin - NOT going to miss that!!! :) Your honeymoon sounds awesome! :)

Elaine said...

Great post, Louise. Its so useful to hear of others experiences. Despite being a life long "off and on" steroid user I used none when pregnant both times and had no trouble. Perhaps i was only addicted later - i tend to think that the last 7 years are what did for me. Makes me wonder whether perhaps my recovery will take less than the 2.5 years I was expecting... who knows, but all steriod/eczema experiences add knowledge about the addiction process. Great to see how well you're looking too. Good as new now, eh? xx

Louise said...

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks,

Itchy Mitchy, the best thing I can recommend is going on the Itsan forum, as there are a few people on there who went through this in pregnancy and can probably advise you better than I can. I wish you all the best in your pregnancy and withdrawal. X

Elaine, I am nearly there, but still waiting to clear completely. My skin is doing great though, just a bit on my arms to clear and I am done!

Working Mom, yeah, my honeymoon was lovely despite the bad skin! Sorrento is such a special place and we did manage to visit Pompeii and go the volcano!

Kawekichang. Tears are natural. Let them flow, but know that they will soon be tears of joy.

Love to all. X

Unknown said...

Louise, your skin looks fantastic in that final photo! Wow :D

Thanks for mentioning me also. It's awful to think of the hard times but at least now you know they're in the past for you. Get to Rome stat, you deserve it ;) xx

Lisa Leung said...

You are looking great louise.