Friday 28 September 2012

Day 323 Josh’s Blog

Apologies again for the lack of updates, I've had a crazy, busy week again.

Skin-wise, things are better than ever. Each morning I wake up and notice more improvements. The stubborn areas on my inner arms and legs have faded right down to pale pink and it won't be long before they are completely normal. My skin is lovely and soft with a lot less flaking.

My mantra throughout this process has always been to use the minimum amount of moisturiser possible. I cannot stress this point enough. I got through many tubes of cream in the early months, as I needed them in order to move my arms, neck and legs. Over time, the amount needed has diminished. At this 10 month stage, the only area that I moisturise is the area around my mouth, which can be a little flaky first thing. The body knows what it needs to heal and does not appreciate being slathered in potential allergens. Once this process is over, I hope to be off the moisturisers completely.

Over time, the amount of people blogging about Red Skin Syndrome has increased, and I am glad to list my fellow bloggers on the right hand side of the page. Please visit their blogs as they are all written from different perspectives and are most valuable to those starting off on the steroid-free road.

The newest blogger on the block is a guy from Australia called Josh, who has rather bravely included video excerpts on his blog. Reading it, I noticed so many similarities between what he is going through (swollen, red skin) and what I experienced in the early months. It will be great to see how he improves over the coming months.

Blogging is great therapy and gives us power when we feel helpless. More bloggers, please!

6 comments:

Joshua Strawczynski said...

Thanks for the shout out, I appreciate the support and I might add that my mum was visiting when your e-mail came through, and it brought her to tears.

I'll keep you posted with my progress and thank you for giving me hope with your blog.

Louise said...

No problem,

I'm sorry I made your mum cry though!

Unknown said...

Hi Louise, I'm so thankful that I've found your blog and can follow along with your progress! I am 5 weeks into cessation and have found a lot of comfort and encouragement from reading your blog, others' blogs, and the ITSAN forums. What a terrible situation that we're all in, but at least we're not alone! I will be keeping you and everyone in my prayers. God bless.

Louise said...

Hi Stace!

Things are hard at the beginning, but keep going. Things will improve for you. I didnt see any big changes until 6 months, so hang in there! x

Emily said...

Hi Louise,
Do you drink some wine or beer on your last stage of withdrawal? Do you think it will get worsen if drink some beer or wine?

Louise said...

Alcohol dilates the blood vessels so i tend to avoid it. I had some baileys back in april and it made my skin terrible, so i am very cautious with alcohol.