Saturday 9 June 2012

Day 202 Stress and Flares

I'm so happy to log on today and see that my pageviews have topped the 20,000 mark. If just a fraction of those people manage to get off the topical steroid creams, then I am happy to have helped them.

Today I definitely noticed a correlation between stress and flare-ups. I am in the process of moving house and it is a pretty crazy time. Every time we think something is going smoothly, we get a call and there is another "blip" to stress us out. Needless to say, I have been quite itchy!

When I am stressed, I start to feel really tense and start clawing at my arms. I think it is because scratching an itch releases endorphins, which make you feel good, or maybe it is because stress increases histamine levels. Whatever the reason, I get the itchy bugs all over me when I am tense and upset. I don't want to scratch too hard and put big holes in my arms as there is still lots of work to do and I don't want to be ill on moving day.

Interestingly, there have been quite a few posts on the itsan forums about itching, particularly from people who have itching all night. Itching is a very distressing symptom and TSW is very stressful in itself.

I've just poured myself a cup of chamomile tea and am trying desperately to chill out.....calm....calm....calm..

Man, I'm itchy typing this!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hi

I just wanted to say that reading your blog has been a big comfort to me. I'm on month 10 of my withdrawl and it's just nice to read posts from someone who is going through the same thing.

I've only ever used hydrocortisone on my face but that was for 8 years. It's been a rough time stopping this cream, I've had bad flares and really bad days but I hope it'll go away soon.

please keep posting :)

Louise said...

Hi Heather. Nice to hear from someone who is ahead of me in the timeline.

I hope you get relief soon x

Heather said...

Thanks, so do I. it's been a long road and my derm has told me it'll take even longer until I'm back to where I was before.

I was told several different diagnosis until finally I met with a doctor's assistant who took time to listen to me.

I wanted to know how you stay so positive and upbeat. This is pretty hard for me. any tips or advice would be welcome

thanks!