Thursday 24 May 2012

Day 186 Sunlight

The weather has completely changed here in the UK and instead of those long, grey drizzly days of late, we have been experiencing a bit of a heatwave.

This means I am finally able to get some sun on my skin.

Dr Rapaport and Dr Fukaya both extol the virtues of sunlight for steroid damaged skin, although Dr Rapaport suggests that the patient waits until the initial severe symptoms of TSW have gone. Now I am six months into withdrawal, I am hoping I have enough healing time under my belt to benefit from a little daily sun exposure.

Yesterday I did the school run with my arms uncovered and this morning, my arms look better than they have done in a long time, especially the backs of my arms, which have nice, smooth skin. The only place my arms still need to recover is on the inner part between my elbow and wrist. That area is slightly dry, but it is constantly improving.

The skin on my face also looks calmer. It is slightly blotchy, but looks more like mild sunburn than eczema.

I am also trying a new product for the wet wounds on my legs. I was shopping in the supermarket and saw a tube of hydrocolloid gel, which is supposed to be good for burns and grazes. I put some on under a dressing last night and the wound looks a bit better today. I'm hoping it will heal, as it has been there for five months now. I will report my progress.

No comments: