Thursday 29 December 2011

Day 39 Pillowcases on My Hands

I decided to take preventative measures when I went to bed last night, as I have been waking up to damaged and bleeding skin from scratching in my sleep. In the past, I have tried wearing cotton gloves to stop myself scratching in the night, but they made my hands too hot and I always seem to remove them in my sleep!

Last night I decided to improvise with a couple of cotton pillowcases placed over my hands and secured at the wrist with an elasicated hair band. My hands could move quite freely and did not get too hot, but I was unable to scratch my arms and cause more damage.

When I woke up I was pleased that my skin had not suffered any more scratch damage, as this has been impeding my progress. On the downside, the skin on my neck and chest has been weeping quite badly again, as has the skin being my ears. I know that weeping skin is all part of steroid rebound and that it is something I have to go through in order to ultimately heal, but it has to be one of the most unpleasant symptoms of steroid rebound. I hope this phase won't last too long, as I am relatively pleased with my recovery progress thus far.

No comments: