Wednesday 7 December 2011

Day 17 Hemp Cream Helping

I am now two and a half weeks into withdrawal and my skin is calming down a little. I have taken to sleeping on the setee propped up at night as it seems to prevent the oozing fluid from pooling in my neck and chest areas so badly, although someone from the support group has suggested using a small towel rolled up around my neck for the same purpose.

I'm not sure whether moisturising creams are useful or not. I am currently using the Body Shop hemp cream which is very rich and Skin MD which is a thinner, non greasy lotion. Sometimes I need to moisturise my elbow joints and neck just so I can move properly. I feel a bit like the tin man in wizard of oz that needs oiling all the time! If I can go without moisturisers, I do, because I want my skin to regain the ability to moisturise itself and I feel that adding too much artificial moisture can suppress the natural ability of the skin to produce its own moisture. But for now, emolients are a mainstay for me, as dry, flaky skin is very itchy and I don't want to scratch myself to ribbons.

My neck and chest area tend to flake really badly. The flaking reminds me of that school glue that dries on your fingers and peels off. The skin underneath is soft and new, but it seems premature and I have to be careful to resist the urge to pick off the flakes. I am still getting slight oozing of fluid around my neck and chest areas. The fluid has a slight metallic smell, but if it is trapped where it cannot get air, such as under a bra seam, it can start to smell bad, due to bacteria. Good personal hygiene is vital and I tend to use a mild antibacterial soap on these areas to keep them clean and avoid odour.

No comments: