Saturday 3 December 2011

Day 13 Turning a Corner

I actually feel like I turned a bit of a corner today. The initial flare after stopping the Steroid creams is starting to subside. I am feeling more comfortable and have more energy.

I know from reading the report by Dr Rapaport MD that after withdrawal, the patient can undergo a series of flares, followed by normal skin and then followed by another flare. Total healing can take anywhere between 6 months and 3 years, with the period between flares getting longer.

I am still getting used to trying alternatives to the topical steroids. Some products sting and irritate my skin, whereas some calm my skin. When patients withdraw from steroids, often they cannot tolerate anything on their skin, except for very basic and pure creams such as coconut oil or vaseline. What suits one person may not suit another. I have found epsom salt baths lovely and soothing, and Skin MD naturals shielding lotion seems to suit my skin best, as it is light and non greasy.

I tried the Body Shop Hemp hand cream today for the first time after a friend recommeneded it. Her aunt has come off the steroid creams completetly, and uses the hemp cream as a substitute. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that shows that hemp seed oil is effective against eczema.

The cream stung on initial application, but was deeply moisturising. I am trying it on my right arm as a test area and I will publish some photos on here shortly to compare my treated arm as opposed to my "control" arm! If I can find effective emolients to replace the steroids, I will stand more chance of healing quickly. My body has a lot of repair work to do.

Sleep is a wonderful healer, but it can often be hard to get enough sleep. Luckily for me I was able to get a good rest last night which seemed to set me up well for the rest of the day.

No comments: