Friday 10 January 2014

I'm Moisturising Again....(photos)

So here we are at the end of the moisturiser withdrawal experiment. I gave it five weeks, but to be perfectly honest, I wasn't enjoying it and neither was my skin!

I try to keep up to date with all of the other TSW blogs and I noticed that quite a few people were trying the experiment at around the same time. I saw that some of them had absolutely fantastic results going "no-mo", whereas others, like me, struggled with it or only saw limited results.

I still think it is worth a try, especially if you are not getting any results using moisturisers or feel like you are getting too dependent on them for comfort. Giving the skin a break can be a great way to "reset" the healing process. Another good thing about this method is that the skin is a lot less red and angry.

In retrospect, I wish that I had tapered the moisturisers rather than stopping them cold turkey. I didn't really give my skin time to adjust in making its own oils. I ended up "hard landing" like Dr Fukaya warned.

The first two weeks were very hard. The skin looked bad and I was embarrassed to face people. The skin was very itchy and it was hard not to scratch off the flakes. The skin was tight and moving my mouth was hard, as it cracked.

The third and fourth weeks were a lot better. Instead of large flakes, the dryness was more powdery. I started having more faith in the process and a growing belief that I would improve with this method.

Unfortunately in the fifth week, my skin flared badly. It went back to how it was in the early weeks and oozed badly.

A couple of days ago I decided to resume moisturising. The effect was almost instant. My skin looked calm and clear. It felt nice too!

 The process has changed my habits forever though. I now realise how moisturising had become a "habit", whether I needed to do it or not. Every morning and night I used to slap on creams and I had top ups in my bags and on shelves around the house. Stopping altogether made me rethink my routine.

I am going to continue trying to use as little moisturiser as possible and will only apply it when I NEED to rather than as part of a routine. I also have a strict policy not to moisturise at night, as this is when the body makes its own oils and repairs itself. In practise, this may mean going several days without moisturiser, but not denying myself a dab of cream when I need it.

With this new method, I think I will get to a stage where I naturally don't need the creams anymore. I call it the "soft landing" method!

I'm also incorporating a few positive lifestyle changes including less junk in my diet, more juicing, more exercise and supplements of vitamin D to replace the sunshine I have missed. Hopefully these measures will have good results.



Here are the photos I took when not moisturising....

 
 
....and here are some pictures I took today, after using moisturisers again for a couple of days:
 
 
 
 
 
Please share your experiences of moisturiser withdrawal in the comments section. Have you tried it? How did you find it? Do you believe it can speed up TSW?
 
*When leaving a comment, please have respect for the opinions of others, even if they differ from your own. Trolling, sarcastic and bullying remarks will not be published and the person will be barred from commenting on future posts.*

9 comments:

Tracy S said...

I am glad your skin is looking and feeling better!!! I am glad you gave it a good try! I think everyone should experiment but ultimately it comes down to what works for YOU! Glad you are feeling better!! :)

Louise said...

Thanks Tracy,

I know that you are one of the bloggers who have had great success with the no-mo method, so congratulations! Your pictures are amazing and give hope to so many people.

It's great to see progress, however we get there! Let's all look forward to having lovely healed skin and getting to the point where none of us have to use creams again!

Hugs, x

Unknown said...

It's like I said before... just listen to what your skin dictates that it wants to do. As long as you're keeping an equilibrium of not smothering yourself in the stuff and not going completely without you should be ok in theory.

Louise said...

Wise advice Jenny.

Yes, I'd remembered what you said in a comment on a previous post and it made good sense. All things in moderation seems to be the key here.

I'm doing great right now. Hope your skin is doing well too.

X

Ruby said...

Wow that's a big difference!

May I ask what moisturiser you use now? There are times when I would like to use some on my face - at the moment I use a zinc oxide based organic sunscreen if I need something but would like something lighter.

Louise said...

Hi Ruby,

I still use hardly any moisturiser and never use any during a flare.

All the way through I have used body shop hemp hand protector. They do a face version which is a bit lighter. I know it doesn't suit everyone though, so I'm always a bit wary about recommending stuff as we all tolerate things differently.

Jojoba oil is supposed to be good. I want to try it out but none of my local shops sell it. I also had some success with borage/starflower oil by splitting a capsule open and rubbing it on the skin.

Joyce Wyld said...

Hi Louise, I just came across your blog. I was a TSW survivor around 8 years ago. Just wanted to ask if you have come across the GAPS/Weston Price diet? It might be the missing puzzle as to why you are having recurrent flare ups despite everything else you are doing. The GAPS book/protocol was written for children on the autism spectrum, but the dietary/nutritional principles in it has cured people of eczema, asthma and many other conditions as well.

Joyce

Louise said...

Hi Joyce,
Congratulations on healing from TSW.

I don't really know much about the GAPS diet, other than I've heard it mentioned in passing, but I don't know any more than the name really.

I will have a look online and see what I can find out.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post. X

Jaime said...

There is an amazing moisturizer that i use... you should check it out - it's called "Hawaiian Moon Aloe" - I'm sensitive to everything else and either have to deal with really rough, thick and dry skin or moisturized skin and acne... it's such a pain. But this works sooo good. Non-comedogenic and uses aloe as a base and jojoba oil is in here too and lots of natural things... check it out. It's a life saver. I'm on topical steroid withdrawal too and I was on .025% Topicort twice a day combined with .005% sorilux and then had to go down to just the sorilux and then nothing (which I'm trying right now.) I tried to wean off them the first time which worked for a bit and then some came back. Now I'm weaning off again but this time I'm trying something different that I wanted to share that might help you and your readers... I researched that the sorilux is a calcium based product so I started taking Vitamin D suppliments along with vitamin c and the multi vitamin... as well as taking Mahuka honey which is moisturizing (to ingest) and anti-bacterial - it's the only honey that cures diseases, the regular honey doesn't. I'm also taking Zinc because that is supposed to help as well. So calamine lotion combined with zinc cold-eeze lozanges... and I'm not getting the general all over the body flaking as a TSW... I have gained weight though because of the steroids so I'd like to lose that. I'm at that stage of it now and also not to flare back up again. I took dead sea salt baths combined with aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath and then use aveeno shaving gel and aveeno body wash... all fragrance free and they all work really well. It's the best for the time being, I guess... I wanted to share that with you in case that helps you or your readers. Thanks!! :)