Saturday 21 September 2013

Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone

Don't worry: the words in the title aren't part of a spelling test.

In fact, I had never even heard of these chemicals before yesterday.

A friend of mine called me up and said that her daughter, who suffers from allergies, had been reacting badly to certain personal care products. Upon further research, she had found that a preservative, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, was responsible for her daughter's skin reactions, which included rashes and small red blisters on the skin.

Apparently, the chemical is in many products, including shampoo, soap, hair conditioner and suncream.

The chemical, also known as Kathon CG is highly irritating in its pure form, although it is used in very small quantities in products. this clearly is enough to harm some sensitive individuals though, which is why i thought it fair to warn my fellow TSW bunch, as we are a sensitive lot.

A similar preservative, Methylisothiazolinone, or MIT, is known to be allergenic and cytotoxic.

According to Wikipedia:

"In 2013, the American Contact Dermatitis Society named methylchloroisothiazolinone as the Contact Allergen of the Year.[5] A common indication of an allergic reaction is eczema-like symptoms including redness and itching, and upon longer exposure also burning sensations and blisters on the part of the skin that is exposed to the allergen. Continued exposure can lead to high sensitization which will be triggered each time the individual comes in contact with the allergen due to the memory T-cells that will remain in the local skin area."

So I decided to check my kitchen and bathroom products to see which ones contained these potentially harmful chemicals....

Did not contain:

  • Radox handwash
  • All my Body Shop products (Body Shop refuse to use these dangerous chemicals in any of their products)
  • Simpsons Sun lotion
  • Right guard Shower gel
  • Original Source Shower Gel
  • Loreal Elvive shampoo and conditioner

Did contain:

  • Asda Essentials Handwash
  • Pantene conditioner
  • Wilkinsons hair conditioner
  • Asda Smartprice washing up liquid
  • Rapunzel Disney bubble bath
  • Asda 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo
So my investigation was interesting. A lot of the things that I had in the bathroom contained the chemical, especially hair products, which could explain why my scalp is always itchy when I use hair conditioner.

It is definitely something to bear in mind for those suffering from eczema or steroid withdrawal, because using irritants on our skin is only going to prolong the process. Readers; check your cupboards now and let me know whether you find any products containing this chemical. If so, are you happy to continue using them, or will you try something new? Maybe you have been using these products for years with absolutely no problems at all. I would love to hear about your experiences, both good and bad.


10 comments:

Tommy said...

Thank you Louise for the information! I've got to check my bathroom too for the chemical! Hope you're doing well xxx

SeamsSewPerfect said...

Hi Louise I came across your blog by searching for red skin syndrome. I was given topical steroids (fluocinonide cream 0.05) my eczema around 2005 - but I was never told not to apply it to my face so I used it for about 5 years. I wouldn't lather my face with it, but use small amount on my cheeks and chin the most. One day I started noticing my skin changing so I looked it up and sure enough it talked about thinning of skin - I freakout and stopped using it....and OH boy!! when I did that my whole face flared up and has been red since...and that was in 2010! I was told by a dermatologist that I have SDRR steroid dermatitis resembling rosacea. I've looked up Rosecea and all I can do is just cry! I was prescribed Oracea 2 days ago, but I'm so scared of any other side effects. I just wonder will this ever go away or will I be stuck with this for the rest of my life.

Louise said...

Hi seamsewperfect.
Glad you finally found out the cause of the problem. Your dermatologist sounds well informed.

Hope your skin improves and you get some relief soon.

BarrysCat said...

FYI it is contained in Original Source products. Heres a link to Tescos product page for Original Source Mint And Tea Tree Shower:
http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266415079

Louise said...

Thanks barryscat.
The one I have on my bathroom shelf is the lemon one, which does not contain any bad ingredients.

I wonder if they have changed the formulation, because after checking you tesco link, I also checked a few other sites and the waitrose site lists a completely different list of ingredients.
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Original-Source-Tea-Tree--Mint-Shower-Gel/19562011?sku=19562011&dnr=y

It may be that older formulations contain the bad ingredients, in which case, we should be vigilant checking bottles.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Anonymous said...

I started getting itching on my right armpit last year and eventually went to the doctor who prescribed me Canestan cream which has only been partly successful . I started to wonder if it was caused by my stick deodorant Old Spice High Endurance deodorant which I had used for about 25 years. I thought that they had possibly changed the formulation. Then I reads the article in today's Sunday telegraph about Methylchloroisothiazolinone and looked on the product content but it is not there. I suspect there is another term for it or they have omitted it. I have stopped using the deodorant and now use nothing.

Louise said...

It could be that you are sensitive to one of the ingredients, or the fragrance. Hope you find an alternative product that helps.

Responseblogger mi aware said...

Look up Dow chemical - Kathon . It's the TM name for isothiazolinones

Responseblogger mi aware said...

Dow chemicals- kathonTM
Methyl-4-isotriazolinone

Louise said...

Thanks, I checked it out and it's definitely something else to look for when buying products. I will be avoiding. Kathon CG.

Thanks for the info and research.