Tuesday 20 August 2013

Little Luxuries.....

Back in the bad old days of my early withdrawal, I used to have as many as three Epsom salt baths a day to ease the terrible pain and discomfort.

Oh how I used to dream that one day my skin would be tough enough to tolerate the heavenly array of scenty bath products out there...

Well...my patience and persistence have paid off. Tomorrow I will be 21 months off the 'roids and my skin is the best it has ever been. The texture, thickness and smoothness of the skin are all in stark contrast to the "full body eczema" that I had previously suffered at the hands of the steroids.

For the last few months, my healing has been rapid and dramatic. I can't stop stroking my arms!

Anyway...my friend was having a cosmetics party and I threw all caution to the wind and bought some lovely scented products to pamper myself with.

Then it was off for a nice long soak in a deep bubble bath (although I still sprinkled some ES in out of habit), followed by a generous helping of mango body butter all over my skin. I smelled like a fruit salad!

These are things I could never have contemplated using when my skin was bad.

It is nice to know that there is a world beyond Vaseline and Epsom salts.

It's good to have a goal to focus on. Even if it is something as simple as a fruity bubble bath.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I don't know how to tell people about this so i've just been commenting on blogs :P

I had been living with the withdrawal of topical steroids for about 4.5 months and it felt as if it still needed a good 3 months to be somewhat good.

I just wanted to share some information on an item i started using a 2 weeks ago that has sped up my withdrawal process to where now my skin is clear and a bit shiny. Its just this FRENCH GREEN CLAY from France. It removes excess lymph fluid from the vessels in the skin, and it felt as if it would cause a 'ooze/itchy' to 'dry but good' cycle in just one use of the mask. I kept the mask on for 30 mins to an hour at a time, once a day. I have been using it almost daily for 2 weeks and i have had no reliance for the last couple days, although initially i did

Initially my skin would be left dry and would seem like little changed, but i definitely saw good results after the 3rd day of using the mask. I could moisturize my face without it getting really itchy and like leaking.

So i would keep the mask on my face for 30 minutes+; wash it off delicately using a soft flannel and lots of water, and then moisturize slightly with olive oil or basic emollient.

Try this on an area of skin to test for allergic reactions or longer term negative reactions. Although initially it may leave your skin a bit more red straight after you remove the mask, after a few hours it will calm down and look improved.

I can assure you i am a real person and that this stuff works very well

You can get French green clay on the internet and its not too expensive

Louise said...

Thanks Alex. I'm glad you found something that works. I've seen the green clay before but never tried it. It sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Hi there beautiful Louise! I feel the exact same way... it is so nice to use products with lovely smells again. Just last night I was in the tub with some berry-scented shave cream, and then some lovely fruity shampoo.... stark contrast to the unscented and plain Vanicream shampoo and shave cream I used to have to use. I can even wear perfume again no problem. Healing is great! I am glad you are doing so well :)

Unknown said...

Hello there, i ran into your blog when trying to search for my skin problem. I had dry bumps on my index fingers and my derm told me its just skin irregularities and he gave me clobetasol cream. I didnt know anything about it and the derm didnt seem to either. He told me to use it 3x a day and i foolishly trusted him. Then one week after stopping the cream my palms and soles felt numb. Then they felt tingly and now i have this burning sensation and sores on them. i researched about clobetasol as i had never felt this way before applying the cream. And i was stunned my doctor would give me the high potent cream for just a 'cosmetic' bumps! I had used it 3x a day for two weeks where the dosage is only 2xa day at the most, then the abrubt withdrawal would cause rebound effect! What was my derm thinking??? Now im pretty sure all these sores are caused by overuse and abrupt withdrawal of clobetasol! Its been a month since i stopped and having this nasty symptoms. So my question is, do you think this symptoms will just go away or should i worry and seek emergency medical help?

Louise said...

Hi Jimmy.

I can't believe the derm was so irresponsible. This is strong stuff!

I am not qualified to advise you what to do, as I am not a doctor, but in my experience, things did get better for me in the long term.