Friday 9 November 2012

Day 366 (photo)

I would sincerely love to be able to report something great, now that I am a whole year off the steroid creams, but sadly, I can't. This is my face today:
The crusty stuff round my mouth is what I call "skin paste". It is when dead skin flakes mix with the ooze coming out of the skin, creating a yellow, gluey mess that you can rub off with a fingernail. The skin underneath is red, raw and oozy.

My face feels wet, raw and burning hot. It is also extremely itchy and it is hard to resist the urge to claw at it with the fingernails and rip off a layer of dead skin. At night I can't sleep because the skin feels so wet. I lie on one side and my ear gets wet with ooze. I feel like I need to sleep propped up, with my face not touching anything.

Things feel really bleak right now. My skin has been like this since the beginning of October and shows no sign of improvement. I go out when I have to, but don't feel very sociable. In fact I am very embarrassed talking to people.

I really need a break. I have never had a flare this long, ever, so I can't understand what is going on. Is it something I have eaten or used? I wish I knew what was causing this. Will it go away by itself? I don't want to shut myself away forever.

I am dreading going to bed tonight. My skin is a fright when I get up in the mornings. I feel like my progress is going backward. I just wish I understood what was going on. The way I understood it, the skin renews itself every 28 days, so why is mine flaking all the time?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Louise,

I am so sorry that you are struggling so much right now. My skin is not great either - I think the change of season is wreaking havoc by causing dryness and also with the added Autumn allergens in the air.

When last have you been to see a dermatologist? I am currently going through a course of phototherapy, and it really seems to help my skin stay reasonably stable. My face and scalp is always first to start flaring, but as long as I can get in there with some Protopic before the flare takes off, it calms down again and stabilises. I hardly ever need to use Protopic more than once a week now.

The nurses at the phototherapy unit gave me some Doublebase Dayleve gel to try on my face. I find that it works like a charm and feels great. It's not oily or sticky, yet is very very moisturising. I have not had problems with weeping in my face, but a lady who does recently told me that she puts warm used redbush teabags on her face, and apparently that can stop the weeping and calm the skin somewhat. It would be harmless to try.

Best of luck, and hang in there. I know we will be seeing pictures of your much improved skin in the very near future!

Johan

Louise said...

Thanks for your lovely encouraging comments. The teabag idea sounds good and i also plan to try borage oil too.

I hope things improve soon!

julie w said...

Hi Louise

I am experiencing the exact same effects dear after using a steroid cream called bioclaire. the only difference is that my face isn't wet but very dry and flaky with dead skin all over. Please has your skin improved in anyway? If so what did you use? I'm really frustrated at the condition of my skin.
hoping to hear from you soon..

Louise said...

Hi Julie,
Yes, I actually wrote this post a while ago and my skin has improved a lot since.

I am taking a bit of a break from the blog, but hope to post some new photos soon showing how my skin has improved.

In the meantime, please visit the forum at itsan.org, where you can chat with others who are going through the same thing. I am on there most days. X