Wednesday 31 October 2012

Day 357 (photo)

Yeah, I'm posting ANOTHER scabby photo, but I thought they might be interesting to anyone out there wondering what the process of TSW looks like and what a mess it can do to your face!

Here I am in all my scabby glory. Hopefully, as it is Halloween, maybe my bleeding face won't be as noticeable. People may just think I am in fancy dress as some sort of undead monster!
I have focused on the chin area because it is the worst area. Some areas of my face are slowly getting back to normal, although the whole of my face is dry and flaky. The good news is that there is no yellow crust today. So I am happy. Scabby stuff I can cope with, but yellow crust grosses me out. I think my face is slowly on the mend.

Psychologically, I am in a better place than yesterday. I actually cried all day yesterday, which left me with a thumping headache. Today, I am in more of a "get on with it", sort of moods and have got on with all the normal stuff like the shopping and school run without worrying too much about other people.

There is no doubt that TSW messes with your head. The ITSAN forum is full of tortured souls battling their way through the horror of this skin affliction. Some people with TSW have to have counselling to cope with symptoms similar to post traumatic stress disorder. The psychological effects of TSW can be as disabling as the physical ones and can make things really hard for friends and family.

My friend has invited me to her house tonight for a "girls night in", but I am not sure whether I am up to going. I will leave it up to the last minute to decide.

By the way, after my rant yesterday about going to see the nurse, I DID eventually go. She never once mentioned my skin!

3 comments:

juditP said...

I am going through the shredding of skin, liquid oozing stage etc. at the moment. I actually have it all over my body + face and I must recommend something I started using to help with the healing of each layer of skin that comes off and also the painful pulling of skin when it dries out. It is called Pharyderm made by Pharmaco (Vitro-Bio France is the manufacturer), I am posting from South Africa so I am not sure if you can get it where you stay but u should be able to. Check their website. It really gives me some relief when I put it on my skin. It is made of Glycerol,Honey, Aqua, Grape seed extract,Green Tea leaves, Cranberry fruit extract,Xanthan gum . It makes your skin a bit sticky but I think it will help your face to look a bit better not so scabbed and sore. For just moisturising I found something made out of calendula + other natural ingredients (no petrochemicals etc.)
About this illness messing with your head I totally agree, sometimes I just feel I cannot go on. I run my own business and I had to put that on hold. I have a 16 months old daughter and I cannot even take care of her. We have to stay with my parents at the moment.
I also cry a lot, the worst is that except for immediate family that see u go through it, NO ONE can even understand the pain and suffering, and psychological damage it does to a person.
The worst question is when someone asks: Have u been to a dermatologist yet?? What does your doctor say?? And I just want to scream at them and say they the ones that ruined my skin!!!!
Anyway, just hang in there!!!

Louise said...

Hi and thank you for your comments. I will check out the stuff you mentioned.

Do you go on the itsan forum? It is a great place to chat to others and get encouragaement.

Hope you heal soon. x

juditP said...

Thanks! I will check the out the itsan forum.:-)