Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 336: photo

A funny thing happened to my face......

Ecstatic at the progress that my skin had made, I decided to put some makeup on when I went out a couple of nights ago. Since I started TSW, I usually wear no makeup at all, and only recently started experimenting again with a little mascara and lipstick on the odd occasion. Anyway, this was different. This was the works: face powder, eyeshadow, lipstick and mascara. I also smeared serum through my hair to make it look glossy. I figured my skin would cope.

I figured wrong.

By the time I got home, I noticed a wet patch on my cheek. The skin on my cheek was starting to form small, water-filled blisters in response to the "irritation". The skin was incredibly itchy and rough. This was the first time it has wept fluid in many months. The next day, the blisters dried out and the skin is now like this:
Now OK, to get it into perspective, I know it is not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning of withdrawals, but seeing as my skin was almost normal, this has been a big setback for me. Also, the skin feels worse than it looks, so it actually feels like it is burning and is very itchy.

I know it will be better in a few days. It will follow the usual pattern of going all dry and flaky before revealing nice new skin, but it has me concerned about any future use of cosmetics. I wonder whether I will ever be able to put a "face on" again.

So, I'm not too fussed during day to day stuff like taking the kids to school and visiting friends, but I do like to make a bit of effort if I am going out for the evening. It is nice to look human once in a while! The ironic thing was that when I went out, my friend told me how nice I looked. The aftermath is not too pretty though!

TSW makes the skin incredibly sensitive. In one of Dr Rapaports papers, he writes about a lady who went through TSW and at the end of about 2 years, she could wear makeup again with no problems. So maybe I will stick the makeup bag in the drawer for now and try again in a few months. Hey, maybe my skin will be so good that I won't need any cosmetics. I will stick a paper bag over my head in the meantime!

3 comments:

Joshua Strawczynski said...

It just goes to show anything can set it off. The other day it was stress for me, tomorrow it could be pollen in the air.

All the best to you, my love and support.

xx

kelou said...

Oh hon, Im sorry that the make up irritated. I can not manage without my war paint! My ma has just had a skin graft and a friend recommended bare minerals make up. She hasnt tried it yet but it is supposed to be great for super sensitive skin. I think it is sold in small beauty salons, may be worth asking if they have any samples for you to try before you fork out for new stuff.

x

Louise said...

Thanks for your comments. The british autumn does not do my allergies any favours and my histamine levels are bonkers, lots of hives, wheezing and sneezing. My skin is an itch-fest at the moment. I need to move to a warm country or hibernate till next spring!

Hope you are both doing ok. X