Sunday 29 July 2012

Day 252 Leaving the ITSAN Forum

I am still continuing to progress nicely. Even the stubborn areas, like my calves and the palms of my hands seem to be drying up and healing. The sun is doing my skin a lot of good.

Today, I decided it is finally time to "cut the umbilical" with the itsan forum.

When I first read about topical steroid addiction back in November of last year, there were very few places you could go to for information. Since itsan.org was formed this year, we suddenly had access to a pile of resources. Lots of wonderful blogs have popped up and we started to compile lists of articles by doctors about TSW. Throughout this time, I have been on the itsan forum every day, interacting with others and sharing experiences, both good and bad. I have put many, many hours into my posts.

I desperately needed the forum. I used it as a crutch, as a lifeline. I knew that if I had doubts or questions, there were kind, welcoming people on the site who could reassure me. I always found it hard to understand why the people who were healed seemed to distance themselves from the forum. But I understand now.

I don't need the forum now. I am healed. It has served a valuable purpose for me, guiding me through a difficult time, but I have survived and come out of the other side. Now it is time to live my life, get out there and enjoy my new skin!

I can't hang around the "sick room". It serves no purpose for me. At worst, it can be pretty depressing having to relive the darkest days of withdrawal over and over again. I have to look ahead, face the future.

I will still remain very much involved with the work of the itsan charity, as I am passionate about what it is trying to accomplish. I am currently working on an exciting itsan project and can't wait to see how it turns out! Hopefully it will help a lot of people. I will also continue to search out medical articles for use on the itsan.org site.

I will pop back to the forums from time to time, to share positive thoughts with those just starting out on steroid withdrawal. My best wishes and warmest thoughts to those going through this difficult time.

No comments: