Monday 13 February 2012

Day 85 Article on Steroids and Diabetes

Had a mini flare on Saturday which had me laid up on the setee again, shivering, fatigued and generally feeling awful, but I was feeling better by Sunday, although the skin on my face and neck is very dry.

The patch on my leg that I took photos of a couple of days ago is still causing me grief. The steroid withdrawal causes edema and I have mild edema in my legs which is pushing fluid out through my skin. This has caused a wet patch on my leg which will not heal. Dressings applied to the area became soaked through.

After researching "leg edema" online, I saw that raising the legs above the level of the heart is a common remedy for this condition, so I managed to lie on the setee with my legs swung over the back of the setee. Miraculously, this semed to dry up the wet wound, as it relieved the pressure that was forcing the fluid through the skin. I have now applied a dressing to the area to keep it clean and free of bacteria.

I am truly shocked at what the steroid creams have done to me. There is no doubt that they are powerful drugs, although there seems to be little regulation concerning appropriate use. Interestingly, I found this article online about the link between steroid use and diabetes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1361652/How-steroids-diabetes.html

No comments: