Friday 11 May 2012

Day 173 The Value of the Steroid Market

My flare seems to have subsided a little, although the skin still seems sensitive. It is flaking a lot, which would indicate the end of a flare. The whole top layer of facial skin seems to be peeling off in one go. I feel like I have had a surgical peel procedure!


I have been researching steroid-related articles over the last few days for ITSAN, so that hopefully, the articles can be posted on the itsan.org site to show people that steroid addiction is real. During my research I uncovered quite a few interesting things. For example, I discovered that the topical steroid market is worth $1.1 billion.  7.7 million prescriptions are written annually in the U.S. by dermatologists for low-potency steroid products--THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE, mid-high potency steroids, or OTC Topical Steroids.


Another thing I discovered was that the Japanese are so much more clued up about steroid addiction than we are in the West. it can be hard finding Japanese articles about steroid addiction because you need to search using the Japanese tileset, but I did find this webpage with loads of article links. You may need to use google translate function to read it.


Even the Japanese Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to steroid withdrawal and rebound. Many dermatologists in japan are experts on the subject. Doctors in the West would do well to follow the lead taken by these pioneering dermatologists.

2 comments:

wendy said...

Hi Louise, hope this unusual flare leads to something good. It never fails to amaze how disappointing it is when a flare arrives, just when things have been a little better. With your latest peel, you are ever closer to great healed skin - were the flakes massive then? Your description remided me of photos of Jake's hand peel. Wendy x

Louise said...

Thanks Wendy!

I always hope that this will be the last big flare before I heal completely!

I'm loving Jakes photos over on the other blog (eczema healing and cortisone). It gives us all hope.