Saturday 14 April 2012

Day 146 Do Children Heal Quicker?

My skin is looking great lately, the best it has been so far! I can't wait to post some improvement photos but I have been really busy this week as the kids have been off school and my poor daughter has come down with chickenpox! I will post some soon though.

Many people in the google group who stopped steroid creams around October of last year are now experiencing huge improvements in their skin condition. This would indicate that at around 6 months of withdrawal, the skin improves dramatically. Obviously this is not an exact figure, as there are many factors to take into account such as the potency of the steroid cream used, frequency  and duration of application and whether oral steroids were used, but the feedback we are getting at the moment is very encouraging.

I also found a great online article that indicated that children withdrawing from steroids heal even quicker than the adults. I think this must be due to the fact that they have not had years of steroid use. Some are reported to have healed in as little as 4-8 weeks, although our group members with kids say that they saw an improvement at around 4 months. I am still shocked that dermatologists push these creams on babies, as the article showed that 54% of the children in the study had developed steroid roseacea even on the lowest strength steroids, which would seem to indicate that roughly half of kids using "safe" hydrocortisone creams may get addicted to them.

.

No comments: