Wednesday 14 December 2011

Day 24 Support Circle

My skin seemed to feel a bit more dry and tight today, but I was able to cope and put up with it quite well by getting out of the house and I even managed to go to the cinema with some friends for a couple of hours!

This brings me to the subject of support and the value of having a supportive circle of friends and relatives that you can rely on during the topical steroid withdrawal process. This is not a process that can be undertaken lightly, and the decision to quit using steroids will have a profoud effect on both the sufferer and those connected with them. Family members may have to take on extra tasks in the home, to allow the patient to rest. It may be that the sufferer just needs someone to open their heart to when going through difficult times. Close friends provide comfort and solace during the darkest periods of withdrawal when the sufferer feels that they can no longer cope. Extended family members may be able to help with childcare. Just knowing that these people understand and accept the reasons for stopping steroids and are prepared to help during the healing process, makes things easier on the patient.

I appreciate the help that I have received during the past couple of weeks. The google support group members are amazing, because they are all at various stages of this process and it is great to touch base with people who really understand the impact of this process, both emotionally and physically.

My husband has helped me in a practical way, by taking the kids to school in the mornings when I feel at my worst and doing the odd bit of housework and cooking too. If I didn't have his support, this would be really hard for me to cope with. He is behind my decision 100% and sees the dangers of steroid creams.

My friends have supported me by sending cards, phoning and texting and visiting me. It is wonderful to know that so many people care about my wellbeing. They have also been very understanding about my reasons for quitting the steroids and nobody has said anything mean or judgemental or tried to make me change my mind.

Having a good support network is VITAL during steroid withdrawal. Surrounding yourself with positive people who are up building, rather than critical people who make you doubt yourself, is the key to success in steroid withdrawal.

No comments: