Wednesday 24 June 2015

Kids Using Steroid Cream at Risk of Glaucoma

I have mentioned before on this blog about the risk of eye complications with topical steroid usage. This was made painfully aware to me when a young teenage skin-friend had to have cataract surgery due to complications from using steroid creams for her eczema.

Despite this, I read of a case on the Itsan forum today where a patient asked their doctor about cataract risk and the doctor denied that steroids cause cataracts! Google "steroid induced cataracts" and you will find lots of evidence that can be printed off to show any GP or dermatologist that doesn't know about this.

Today I discovered an article online that shows that kids who use topical steroids are also at risk from glaucoma. Yes, it seems that as well as steroid-induced cataracts, we should also be worried about steroid-induced glaucoma too.

Eyesight is precious. If you know anyone who regularly uses steroid cream or has a child that uses steroid cream, encourage them to have regular eye check ups to ensure that their medication isn't causing any nasty side effects, especially if they use these creams around the eyes or on the face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I started to experience spots and white lights were really starting to upset me. I was worried about this as well so I scheduled an appointment with a ophthalmologist and he said the same thing! That is was very unlikely that it would ever effect the eyes like that. He was very condescending about it.

Jerkiness aside, my eyes were in pretty good shape.

I hope people continue to educate themselves and not let doctors belittle and push patients around.