Friday 30 January 2015

My Vitamin D Experiment

I read a really interesting article a few days ago about the UVB levels here in the UK. It was basically saying that in Northern latitudes, UVB levels are too low for our bodies to make vitamin D and we only get adequate levels between March and October. I thought that fact was particularly significant as I tend to heal every summer and then have my annual flare around October time.

This year, I thought I would get away without the anniversary flare as I have been so long off steroids. Sure enough, October came and went, but just as I thought I was out of the woods, late December delivered a huge blow and my skin has reverted to the tight and flaky phase. Its also interesting that my kids have come out in some small nummular patches of eczema, despite the fact that they don't use steroid creams at all. This would seem to be a clear case of a seasonal-type skin condition.

So in my head I made the link between the sun exposure and my skin condition. I learned that in the UK, going out on a sunny winter day will give me UVA radiation, but not significant levels of UVB. It is the UVB that makes vitamin D in the body.

As my blog readers will know, I tried to go to a tanning salon in the past but ironically was turned away because of the condition of my skin. A few months later, my skin healed with the help of the natural sunshine. I have also tried vitamin D supplements on and off, but realise that the supermarket vitamin D is a very low dose and had no effect.

Therefore I have decided to perform and experiment on myself. I am not advising anyone else to try this, as I am not a qualified medical practitioner. Anyway, it may not have any effect, we will have to wait and see. I have purchased some high-potency vitamin D tablets. They are 5000 iu. I have researched vitamin D toxicity and although this is a very high dose, there do not seem to be any adverse effects reported of short term intakes below 10,000 iu.

I will be taking one dose a day for the next month and record my progress. After that time, it will be March in the UK anyway and I will let the natural UVB do its job.
So this is my ugly mug right now. I will post progress photos over the coming weeks to see if there is any effect from the vitamin D.

9 comments:

Wynter said...

Not all Vit D tablets are made equal - the way they are created affects the way your body breaks them down. If you can I'd ask a pharmacist if there is any particular brand which is best... if you haven't already...

Of course, finish your current ones first XD but it is just an idea.
GOOD LUCK!

Louise said...

Thanks Wynter. I hope I got the right ones! They are soft gel type with oil in the centre if the capsule. I thought my body might process them better than the chalky tablet type.

There are 250 in the tub, but I only plan on taking them until we get some decent uvb levels in the UK, which should be March.

Louise said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that mine are the vitamin d3, which are supposed to be better than the vitamin d2. I shall try and remember to post that in my next update!

Elaine said...

I look forward to your update, Louise. Am struggling too in the poxy UK winter. So cold and damp. And the dreaded central heating doesn't help...
take care. xx

Tommy said...

Hi Louise,

I'm really hoping the supplement will work for you.

Just wondering if you have ever tried the UV treatment in your local NHS? They do it for people with eczema and psoriasis etc (for free, of course).

x

Louise said...

Hi Tommy,

I've never tried UV treatment, although it's certainly something I'd consider looking into. Right now I'm going to see if the vitamin D makes a difference. If not, then my next course of action will be to get in touch with my doc to look at UV.

Anonymous said...

Don't call yourself ugly. You are your #1 advocate so Love yourself no matter what! I have been going through tsw for almost 9 months and maybe a long time before that since my skin rashes had been chronic for years before. Almost every part of my body is healed except my face and I have spent $$$$ on all form of treatments, natural and others. I recently tried a cream containing tepezcohuite, which comes from a tree in Mexico and is toted as the "skin tree" I very much urge you to research this. The changes in my skin are unlike anything I have tried during this trial and error hell of a journey. Good luck to you. (mayan magic balm was the brand of cream I purchased although I live in Canada)

Louise said...

I've not heard of this tree before. Thanks for the info. I will look it up and see if it's available in UK.

All the best with your TSW journey. I'm glad you are seeing good results with the cream,

Joey V. said...

Hey Louise,
Good topic! I do think this is the one proven thing that can bring healing to our ravaged skin and so many other areas of our health, too.

My original eczema always got better in the summer to the point of being gone and then returned in the fall which is not coincidence in my opinion. That ole sun is good medicine in healthy doses and I now take liquid drops of vitamin d3 on my wrist or under my tongue of 10,000 iu a day and go to the tanning booth which is 50 percent of each UVB/UBA. Juliana is talking about this on her blog as well so I see some correlation with winter and more skin issues for sure. :) Thanks for sharing!