Thursday 12 July 2012

Day 235 Micro Flare

I think I'm having a micro-flare!

It's a bit like a mini-flare, only milder. My skin has been a bit more pink over the last few days and I have had a little more dryness on my face and arms.

It can be easy to view blips like this as a step backward, but I view any change in the skin as a step forward. After all, it means that the skin is doing something. It is not standing still. It is changing.

So what if it is dry? It is just the old skin sloughing off. There is nice new skin underneath.

So what if it is pink? It is just a sign that the blood vessels still have relatively high Nitric oxide levels and that I'm not cured yet, but after each flare, there is calm, and I'm looking forward to the improvements that the next calm session brings. I have said before that it is best to view flares like a necessary dose of medicine, unpleasant, but needed for a complete cure.

I am grateful that the flares are mild. It is hard to remember how things were at the start, but then I might read a comment on the itsan forum from someone who has just started withdrawals and it all comes flooding back.

I have come a long way.

Sometimes I see comments from people who are a couple of months into withdrawal and they feel like they can't go on. I was like that too.

It is amazing what the human body and mind can put up with when it has to. We are stronger than we think.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm happy that things are progressing well for you. Sometimes when I'm having a flare and feeling a bit down I read your posts and your optimism helps me to feel more hopeful. thank you!