Tuesday 28 February 2012

Day 100 *hooray*! (progress photos before/after)

Yes, I finally made it to day 100! Amazing! It has actually gone really fast.

So where am I at this point in time? Pretty good actually.
Here is a photo of my neck that I took today. The rash is still there, but it is a lot paler and more diffuse. I like that there are also areas of white skin! Compare it to the picture below, which was taken during a flare a few weeks ago:

The skin was really angry here, so I am pleased with the improvement and the fact that the flares are getting less intense. I am hoping that the bad flare photos I took a few weeks ago, were the peak and now I have seen the worst of it.

Now for an upade on my leg wound....
Here is a photo I took today. I have been using the moist healing method over the last week or so and the skin is returning back to normal. Please compare it to a couple of weeks ago...
This is the same wound before I did the moist healing. It was absolutely raw, with lots of yellow discharge. I really worried that the area would get infected, but thankfully, it never did.

Now an update on my arm....
The red skin has really faded on my arm and turned a pale pink. Only the inside of the arm is affected, as the rest of the arm is normal skin. I no longer have the red arm-white palm which everyone gets at the start of steroid withdrawal. The skin is a bit flaky, but I think over the coming weeks this area will get a lot better, especially if I can get some sun on it.

Just look at the state of my arm previously....
Just a few weeks ago, you can see how wrinkly and damaged the arm was. The skin seems smoother now and able to hold more moisture.
Now for what has been a problem area, the back of my leg...
The skin here has improved a lot and is quite smooth now. Walking is not an issue. A month or so ago, I was really struggling to walk. This is how my leg was at its worst....

This was horrible and one of the worst symptoms. I am glad that my leg is returning to normal, as I am not normally one to sit around the house, and this has disabled me.

The improvements are clear to see. My skin is getting better every day and with the end of each flare I see better skin. I am confident that I will heal, although the process is excruciatingly slow and it may take another couple of hundred days before I see anything that resembles normal skin.

I am so grateful for the google support group and the addictedskin site that brought me to this point and helped me to realise that steroid addiction is curable. Kelly who runs the addictedskin site is trying to set up an organisation to help people affected by steroid addiction and has been funding it largely from her own pocket. Please consider donating via the addictedskin website to offeset the costs that are involved in setting up these support and information services. Since she set up her site, she had, to date only received 3 donations, despite the fact that her site has helped thousands of people.

No comments: