Wednesday 18 January 2012

Day 59 Rebound Phenomenon Article Link

The skin on the back of my legs is still wet and tight, but the rest of the oozing areas seemed to calm down a lot last night and I slept really well. Sitting down is a problem as the skin gets wet at the back of my knees and when it dries out it dries tight and splits and cracks when I walk which is very painful.

Applying creams to the areas just make more fluid leak out, and applying coverings or dressings makes me sweat. Baths provide temporary relief, but as soon as the skin dries out it starts to flake and split again. I tried applying an ice pack, but that was really painful and stung my skin.

I think the best therapy is to let the air get to it as much as possible by wearing light clothing and adding a thin layer of cream to lubricate my joints so I can walk. I also have knee swelling, which is a new symptom, although many people going through withdrawal have some sort of edema or fluid retention issue.

One of the google group members posted this interesting link, which is worth a look:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.elsevier.es/en/revistas/allergologia-et-immunopathologia-105/rebound-phenomenon-to-systemic-corticosteroid-in-atopic-13082399-original-articles-2005&usg=AFQjCNGmnj-LF7QSN5pYRGroAqnrvp22vA

The evidence is mounting. Hopefully doctors will take note and be more careful prescribing steroid creams. I am not steroid phobic, but I do think that tighter rules about prescribing these potent creams would benefit everyone, and people should be aware that they should only be used for a few days at a time rather than months or years.

No comments: